This young girl tells the players she is an agent of a nearby planet that is undercover into a terrorist group. She has learned that hard liners among the group have schemed a plot to release a lethal virus (think on Ebola, but spray spread possible) obtained off world, and they are here to buy the vaccine before releasing it, both to vaccine group members and to be able to emerge as saviors of the people.
Being alone, and afraid about going to planetary authorities because of the delays that will mean (she’s afraid they release the virus regardless having the vaccine or not), she asks the players to help her sizing the ship and taking the vaccine and group’s documents to her planet to hand it to authorities. While she can only pay the players 10000 Cr each beforehand, she’s sure of her government gratitude and that they will be rewarded for saving many lives.
The ship may be from a Scout to a free/far trader or safari ship, and the vaccines are several crates, about 2 tons of displacement, hidden among random cargo. She has the passwords of the ship and can help the players in and give them some weapons, but the terrorist crew of the ship must be overcome (adapt them to the players’ capabilities). Collateral damages should be avoided to allow the ship leave the planet immediately, more so if the seizing of the ship is not stealthy enough as not to call starport authorities attention, as legal matters could delay the arrival of the vaccine to her planet.
See that any unauthorized taking off may lead to further complications…
Possible outcomes (choose one or roll 1d6):
1. All as shown. Planetary government will be quite thankful and reward the players for their actions (even the ship may be the reward, if the referee wants the players to obtain one). The whole fact must be kept secret to avoid scandal, though.
2. As shown, but the virus has already been released. Even with the vaccine, it will take 2d6 weeks to control the outbreak, the planet being quarantined (and players forbidden to leave) meanwhile. Government reaction will be as in 1.
3. As 1 or 2, but behind the terrorists is a government faction, which will go any length to avoid it being discovered. If there is quarantine, they will try to eliminate them and the agent while kept quarantined in planet.
4. As any of the above, but she is in fact a member of the group that believed them to be peaceful and just buying medical drugs for distribution among those left of the government’s health systems. Once she learned the truth, she tries to get the vaccine to her planet and hand it to the authorities, but the players will be arrested with her for terrorism. She will try to clear them, even negotiating the uncovering of the group. Further reactions by the government depending on player’s actions and can go from charging them for bio-terrorism to rewarding them for avoiding the attack.
5. as 4, but also as 3. The faction behind the group will try to have the players charged for bio-terrorism.
6. She is in fact the only surviving terrorist, her ship having been seized by undercover government agents that discovered the plot (they have acted discretely, as they hold no authority in the planet they are on and could be accused of piracy for seizing the ship without asking the authorities for help). The virus in on the ship, also hidden. When arriving to the planet, she plans to take the ship’s boat (or air raft if the ship is a scout) and the virus, along part of the vaccines, spoil the rest of the vaccine and try to reach the planet to release the virus, leaving the players as scapegoats. Depending on the speed they reach the planet (and the referee’s whim) the government may be aware of their arrival (having received news from the undercover group), and so waiting for them.